When your dog is begging for the delicious food in your hand, it’s always tempting to give in—especially when the scraps will otherwise go to waste. But think twice about serving human food to your pup. Plenty of common foods, seasonings, and additives are actually toxic for dogs to consume. Other treats should be avoided because of high fat or sodium content, both of which cause more issues for pets than for people.
Think your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t have, or too much human food in one go? Watch for symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, or fatigue. And if you know they’ve eaten something poisonous to pups, seek veterinary care immediately.
1. Peanut Butter with Xylitol
Many brands of peanut butter are perfectly safe. However, you should always check ingredients before feeding this tasty treat to your pet. Xylitol, a commonly used artificial sweetener, is fatally toxic to dogs. Look for creamy peanut butter without xylitol—or better yet, with no added sweeteners.
Dogs love peanut butter; make sure the one you choose loves your dog back!
2. Chicken Wings
It’s always tempting to give table scraps to your dog, but cooked bones are extremely hazardous. They can splinter, causing severe internal damage. And even boneless wings shouldn’t be fed to your pet: fried foods aren’t good for a dog’s system. Plus, the seasonings on your wings could contain traces of onion or garlic, which dogs can’t eat. It’s best to avoid feeding chicken wings to your dog altogether.