Dog parents know that their pup is worth every hair tumbleweed and chewed shoe that they must deal with to have the precious pooch in their lives. However, who wouldn’t want an even smoother interaction with man’s best friend?
Below are 25 dog-care hacks to prove once and for all that owning a dog in this era of genius ideas and gadgets has never been easier.
1. DIY a treat-dispensing toy to entertain them for hours.
Or until they eat all the treats. Cut open a tennis ball with a scissor and stuff it with their favorite snack. Get the tutorial here.
Or use an IQ Treat Ball to mentally stimulate your pooch.
2. Play fetch downhill to tire your dog out faster.
This trick is great for high-energy pets that need to run it out.
3. Use a carabiner to easily leash your dog.
Don't spend 10 minutes undoing knots when you get out of the grocery store. Loop the leash handle through the carabiner, wrap it around a post, and hook it onto the remaining length of leash.
4. Put a ball in your dog’s food bowl if he or she eats too fast.
They’ll be forced to move the ball around the bowl, which prevents them from scarfing it all down in one lick. Read more about it here.
Alternatively, use a Slow Feeder Dog Bowl to help slow down your dog’s eating time by 10X!
5. Make an ice lick by freezing toys, bones, and chicken broth into a cake mold.
It'll keep them hydrated and occupied for hours.
Also, check out these 3 Super-Easy Frozen Dog Treats You Can Make at Home in Less Than an Hour.
6. For an on-the-go water break, try a collapsible water bowl.
Get it here.
7. Make a dog car seat using a laundry basket, a pillow, and a blanket.
To keep your dog safe and in one spot, wrap a blanket around a pillow, place the pillow in the laundry basket, and use the excess fabric to drape around the basket to soften the edges. There's a chance you'll want to curl up in there, too.
8. To DIY a cute dog bed, use a crib mattress, a fitted sheet, and a wooden pallet.
Get more info here.
Here's even more fun DIY project ideas for dog lovers.
9. And if you want to reduce clutter in the bedroom, put your crate where a drawer would go.
Add a small tension rod and sheer fabric to make it disappear during the day. Learn how to make it here.
10. If your dog hates the crate, opt for a pillow instead.
If you have kids, they'll want to sleep in there, too.
Also, check out a great way for repurposing wine barrels and making them into beautiful dog beds!
11. You can also hack an Ikea shelf for a super-modern dog bed.
Also, here's a super creative way to make a custom pet bed using a cheap IKEA toy doll bed.
12. To save on floor space, put your dog's bowls in a bottom drawer.
Source: Plain & Fancy by Dandamudi’s
13. Use peanut butter to distract your dog during nail trimming.
Have a family member who isn't clipping put peanut butter on their fingers. Or do what this super creative dad did… he created the craziest contraption for his pup out of a purse!
14. And if you accidentally cut your dog's nail too short, stop any bleeding with a mixture of cornstarch and water.
Source: Taste Of Southern / Via viralnova.com
Apply it to the bleeding nail with a cotton swab — the paste will coagulate the blood and stop it from flowing. If you're out of cornstarch, try flour or baking soda instead.
15. If you’re traveling with a pet, get a spillproof bowl.
Get one here.
16. And if your pet loses a toy while you're on the road, make a crinkle toy from a sock and an empty water bottle.
If your socks are too precious, use a scrap of fabric from an old towel.
17. Use a squeegee to remove dog hair from your car seats.
If you don't have a squeegee, put on rubber dishwashing gloves and brush the seat, going in one direction to sweep up the hair. Learn more about it here.
18. For the dog that’s constantly trying to climb into the front seat: Use this zip line harness.
Or make it yourself with nylon rope and two spring clasps. Get it here.
19. You can also hook the harness up outside while you're camping or barbecuing.
This way they can wander a little without getting lost. Learn more about it here.