Kailey spent more than a year in the shelter being passed over by everyone who came in contact with her. And the longer she went without someone to love, the more she closed herself off and became wary of people. She was almost euthanized when one family took a chance on her.
She was fostered by Jacqueline Berlin who saw the potential in the sweet Shepherd mix. “Her one issue was that something has happened to her in her past so that if you try to touch her and she did not know you she would snap at you,” said Jacqueline. “Because of her issue, it was really hard to get her adopted.”
Jacqueline made a plea on Facebook calling for all introverts to meet their doggy soulmate. The post struck a chord with Suzy Chandler, and upon first meeting Kailey, she knew she had to take her home. But little did she know the dog would save her life.
One night, Kailey started acting up like never before. “All of a sudden she just started barking and looking at us and growling, like trying to get our attention and I said well what’s the matter with her,” said Suzy.
That’s when Kailey led her owner outside and in the direction of a neighborhood gas leak. “She pulled me directly over to the side yard,” Suzy continued. “Right away I smelled overpowering gas and a loud whooshing sound.”
She immediately called 911, and DeKalb County Fire Rescue responded to save the day. But if not for a dog who had been overlooked so many times, no one knows how bad things could have gotten that night. Suzy’s takeaway from all of this? “If you have the space, you have room in your heart to take in a needy animal, to love on them, I mean it comes back to you tenfold.”