A good Samaritan passed by a parked car in California and heard yelping coming from inside.
After peeking inside, the passerby realized that there was a little dog locked inside the car.
It was 99 degrees outside, so he knew it would be even hotter in the car and that the dog wouldn’t survive much longer.
The dog was barely moving and in obvious distress, so he rescued the dog from the car and gave him medical attention while he contacted the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department.
When deputies arrived, they put the pup, named Boomer, in their air conditioned patrol car. They then used their temperature gauge to see what the temperature was inside in the car.
They were shocked to learn that it was 131 degrees inside the car where Boomer had been locked in.
Thankfully, they were able to locate and arrest Boomer’s owner for animal cruelty.
Boomer was taken in by Ramona Humane Society to receive further care. He is expected to make a full recovery.
The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department took to Facebook to remind pet owners that animals should never be left alone in a car, even for a moment.
“Temperatures inside a closed vehicle can reach more than 120 degrees F within minutes, even with the windows partly opened on a cloudy day,” they wrote.
“Exposure to such high temperatures can quickly kill a person or pet. A body temperature of just 107 degrees F may cause brain damage or death from heatstroke.”