1. Don’t be upset when I jump for joy when you come through the door.
I only live for ten or fifteen years. You are what makes that time enjoyable. It’s hard on me when you go away.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
I don’t always get it right on the first try, but I promise I’m trying as hard as I can.
3. Just like I trust you, I need you to trust me, too.
4. Don’t be angry with me for too long.
5. Talk to me.
Sure, we don’t speak the same language, but the sound of your voice brightens my whole day.
6. Comfort me when I’m scared.
7. Remember that I’ll never forget how you treat me.
8. Come outside with me.
9. Let me make new friends.
10. Give me a treat ever once in a while.
11. Please don’t hit me.
I have teeth that can crush bone. Instead, I cover you in sloppy, wet kisses. Just as I choose not to hurt you, please make the choice to not hurt me.
12. Understand when I need my alone time.
13. Show me your world.
14. Teach me new things.
15. Touch me.
16. Let me get dirty once in a while.
17. Pay attention if I don’t seem like myself.
18. Love me when I’m old just as much as you did when I was young.