1. Don’t be upset when I jump for joy when you come through the door.
I only live for ten or fifteen years. You are what makes that time enjoyable. It’s hard on me when you go away.
2. Just like I trust you, I need you to trust me, too.
3. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
I don’t always get it right on the first try, but I promise I’m trying as hard as I can.
4. And please don’t lock me up to punish me.
5. Sure, we don’t speak the same language, but the sound of your voice brightens my whole day.
6. Teach me that humans are made of love, not pain. And don’t ever let me forget it.
7. Comfort me when I’m scared.
8. Come outside with me.
9. Give me a treat ever once in a while.
10. Let me make new friends.
11. Please don’t hit me.
I have teeth that can crush bone. Instead, I cover you in sloppy, wet kisses. Just as I choose not to hurt you, please make the choice to not hurt me.
12. Understand when I need my alone time.
13. Show me your world.
14. Let me get dirty once in a while.
15. Pay attention if I don’t seem like myself.
It might seem like I’m just being lazy or stubborn, but I might not be feeling well. I can’t get help for myself, and I need you to look out for me.